Dr. Michelle D. Steward (Ph.D., Arizona State University) is an Associate Professor at the School of Business at Wake Forest University. Michelle's research interests center on issues involving role management and the coordination of internal working relationships, and how each drive superior performance in business-to-business markets. Within this research domain, she also examines comparisons of normative expectations and customer satisfaction measurement in business markets and the interrelationships among salespeople, supply managers and their internal customers. Michelle's research has been published in journals such as the Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, Journal of Business Research, Journal of International Marketing, Journal of Business-to-Business Marketing, Omega: The International Journal of Management Science, Journal of Marketing Education, Journal of Marketing Theory & Practice, Business Horizons and Marketing Management Journal. Michelle has received both the Faculty Scholarship Award and the T.B. Rose Fellowship in Business for Instructional Innovation at Wake Forest University's School of Business, and has been internationally recognized with her co-authors as the winners of the S. Tamer Cavusgil Award for the "most significant contribution to the advancement of the practice of international marketing management." In addition to teaching in the United States, Michelle has lived abroad and worked for the Ministry of Education in the Republic of South Korea. Michelle is an Associate Editor for the Journal of Marketing Education.
- Atilla, E. Asuman, Michelle D. Steward, Zhaohui Wu and Janet L. Hartley (2018), “Triadic Relationships in Healthcare,” Business Horizons, forthcoming.
- Rea, P. , Kolp, A. , Ritz, W. , & Steward, M. (2016). Corporate Ethics Can't Be Reduced to Compliance. Harvard Business Review, | more information
- Brower, H. H. , & Steward, M. D. (2015). Business Professors Need to Spend Time in Companies. Harvard Business Review, | more information
- Hartley, J. L. , Brodke, M. , Wheeler, J. V. , Wu, Z. , & Steward, M. (2014). Exploring Supply Management Status, Internal Collaboration and Operating Performance. Operations Management Research, 7 (1-2), 24-35.
- Meredith, J. R. , Steward, M. , & Lewis, B. (2011). Knowledge Dissemination in Operations Management: Published Perceptions Versus Academic Reality. Omega, 39 (4), 435-446.
- Steward, M. , & Lewis, B. (2010). A Comprehensive Analysis of Marketing Journal Rankings. Journal of Marketing Education, 32 (1), 75-92.
- Steward, M. D. , Walker, B. A. , Hutt, M. D. , & Kumar, A. (2010). The Coordination Strategies of High-Performing Account Mangers: Internal Working Relationships That Drive Success. Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 38 (5), 550-566.
- Steward, M. , Wu, Z. , & Hartley, J. L. (2010). Exploring Intrapreneurial Ability and Supply Managers' Relationship Skills. Journal of Business-to-Business Marketing, 17 (2), 127-148.
- Steward, M. , Martin, G. S. , Burns, A. C. , & Bush, R. F. (2010). Using the Madeline Hunter Direct Instruction Model to Improve Outcome Assessments in Marketing Programs. Journal of Marketing Education, 32 (2), 128-139.
- Wu, Z. , Steward, M. , & Hartley, J. (2010). Wearing Many Hats: Supply Managers' Behavioral Complexity and Its Impact on Supplier Relationships. Journal of Business Research, 63 (8), 817-823.
- Morgan, F. , McCabe, D. , Howley, M. , McCabe, J. , & Steward, M. (2010). The Influence of Different Types of Cues-to-Action on Vaccination Behavior: An Exploratory Study. Journal of Marketing Theory & Practice, 18 (2), 197-214.
- Steward, M. D. , Morgan, F. N. , Crosby, L. A. , & Kumar, A. (2010). Exploring Cross-National Differences in Organizational Buyers' Normative Expectations of Supplier Performance. Journal of International Marketing, 18 (1), 23-40.
- Steward, M. , Sanders, C. B. , & Bridges, S. (2009). Facilitating Knowledge Transfer during SOX-Mandated Audit Partner Rotation. Business Horizons, 52 (6), 573-582.
- Steward, M. (2009). A Typology of Coordination Strategies Employed by Business-to-Business Salespeople. Marketing Management Journal, 19 (1), 37-45.
- Steward, M. , Hutt, M. D. , Walker, B. A. , & Kumar, A. (2009). Role Identity and Attributions of High-Performing Salespeople. Journal of Business and Industrial Marketing, 24 (7), 463-473.
- Steward, M. (2008). Intraorganizational Knowledge Sharing among Key Account Salespeople: The Impact on Buyer Satisfaction. Marketing management Journal, 18 (2), 65-75.
In the Media
- January 13, 2016 - Incorporating Online Supplier Reviews and Evaluations in Procurement, Blog Talk Radio | more information
- December 1, 2015 - The Influence of the Digital Environment on Decision-making in Procurement, Narus and Steward, Blog Talk Radio | more information
- January 1, 2015 - Pink Tax | more information
- January 1, 2011 - Keys to Success | more information
- January 1, 2009 - Marketing and Finance Contest | more information
- January 1, 2009 - Persuasion Beats Advertising | more information